The following script will add new Metro styled tiles for Power Admin Users to the start menu.
Custom Icons for Control Panel, Administrative Tools and Windows Update
|Icons copyright MDC, except for Windows Explorer Search icon and Windows logo!|
Compatible with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Server 2012, Server 2012 R2.
New tiles include;
- Windows Explorer Search - go directly to Windows Explorer and perform a search
- Control Panel (Standard Icons) - links to a list of all icons as in Windows 7/S2008, not category
- Control Panel (All Tasks) - list all tasks, a hidden feature
- Control Panel (All Settings) - referred to as "God Mode" in Win 7/S2008, a hidden feature
- Administrative Tools - root link, not a sub-directory of Control Panel as in current Tile in Win 8+/S2012+
- Windows Update - a better designed icon
Download and install Win8MetroAdminPowerTiles.zip, see license/instructions below.
The script is free to use and sourced from Microsoft Gallery. The icons are free to use for personal use, but not commercially. Commercial/Small businesses requires a license to buy the rights to use the icons, which I created, except for Windows Explorer Search icon and Windows logo in Windows Update icon however the mash-up is considered copyrightable work. Don't get shocked, we are talking pennies here. License and Disclaimers listed in scripts.
Contact email@example.com for a commercial license.
Download script Win8MetroAdminPowerTiles.zip
- Unzip and copy contents to C:\Windows\System32 directory.
- Right-click on doWin8AdminTiles-RunMe1st.ps1 and Run with Poweshell. This loads the Poweshell Editor (ISE) with administrator privileges.
- In Poweshell Editor (ISE), press green arrow to run the script.
If you see the above light green messages in the console area of the PowerShell ISE, the you have successfully run the script.
If you see red, you may have re-run the Powershell IDE with administrator privileges. Use Windows Search for PowerShell, right-click and run with Adminstratative privileges, see article here.